Note: this post is cross-posted on Cubeia.com.
So what can you expect from the Firebase Community Edition (FCE)? Here’s a basic rundown:
- It’ll be free and open source under the AGPL license. This means you can use, modify and even redistribute it to your hearts delight. However, you can’t change the copyright, nor the license itself. Also, there’s this viral GPL thing going on…
- It’s limited to a single server. Sounds too restricted to you? Well, we’ve run thousands and thousands of players of single, rather cheap, servers so we’re not too concerned. Try it!
- Performance! Basically FCE is an optimized single server version of the Enterprise Edition. While perhaps not your 1st choise for first person shooters, the FCE boasts a very low latency indeed. Not to mention the parallel event execution and the transparent transactions and so on.
- Community support will be available. Forums, wikis etc.
- There’s a clear upgrade path for you. Do you have a lot of players and you’re getting edgy about uptime? There’s the Enterprise Edition just waiting for you. Want more support? Sure. Scalability up to high heaven? Sure. Want a cherry on top? We’ll see what we can do…
I mean, seriously: The industry’s best and sexiest game server, for free?! It’ll be cool!