Dag 1 ”Seven roads to hell” rullar igång i högtalarna och jag går ut på scenen. Natten är lugn, och det är bara fåtal kunder i...
The First Taste: Fungrim’s APA #1fungrim
Well then, it’s time to update on the first brew. It’s now been 2 weeks on fermentation (1 primary, 1 secondary) and 2 weeks on bottle for carbonation. I did taste it one week early, and posted the results on Facebook:
- Looks: Off white head, small retention. Hazy amber gold with a redish cast.
- Nose: Ripe fruits, caramel and toffee. Surprisingly small amount of hoppiness. Some straight malt coming through.
- Palate: Smooth and creamy. Low carbonation (not surprising).
- Taste: Medium bitterness. Fruity with some hop herbal streaks. Some citrus. Long lingering bitterness. Well hidden alcohol.
- Overall: Nice! Surprisingly un-hoppy nose and feels more like an EPA than an APA to me. But this taste is an early one, let’s see what another week of fermentation can do 🙂
There you are. The alcohol percentage should be something like 6.3 and by now, the carbonation should be better (even though it may differer from bottle to bottle). Also, I was a bit concerned a by-taste which I wondered about which may have been due to over exposure to air while bottling (this is may first time after all). But now, let’s crack a second bottle……pause for religious moment of opening and pouring here…
- Looks: Off white head, rather large, good retention. Hazy golden colour tending against straw rather than amber.
- Nose: A flowery sweet nose with some vanilla, caramel and toffee. And something else, a perfect match for something in my nose, but which I unfortunately can’t just put my finger on what it is…
- Palate: Smooth and creamy. Low carbonation (still).
- Taste: Medium bitterness. Malty, with some fruity and herbal herbal notes. Citrus. Long lingering bitterness. Very well hidden alcohol. Smooth.
- Overall: Still nice! But there’s some aromas and flavours I just can’t put my finger on, and which may well be unwelcome artefacts. My beer-friends (hi Gnoff!) will have to advice me on that. If I blind tested I still go for an EPA rather than an APA.
So? I’m happy. Next step is to take down a few bottles for Miss J and have Gnoff tell me what he thinks, ie. take it to the experts and take it to the friends. But overall, I’m very happy with something which is after all a first attempt. Next attempt, I’ll go for an IPA and more hops!